6 qty. 1 1/2” x 2” White Felt – for the rice
6 qty. 4mm Adhesive Rhinestones Jet Black 30156952, for the eyes
DMC embroidery Floss – 310 Black 77636712
DMC Embroidery Floss – Orange or Red
2 qty. 1” x 3” Black Felt 77676643 – for the nori
1 qty. 1” x 3” Yellow Felt 77676676 – for the egg
1 qty. 1 1/4” x 2 1/2” Orange Felt 30061435 – for the shrimp
1 qty. 1” x 2 1/2” Red Felt 77676619 – for the ahi fish
3 qty. Jumbo Paper Clips
1 qty. 3” x 4” Green Cardstock – for sushi holder
Pencil/pen for tracing
Embroidery needle – large eye for DMC Floss
Low Temp Glue Gun & Glue Sticks
Fiskars SureCut Paper trimmer 30088131
Basic embroidery skill knowledge is helpful for this project.
1. Sushi: Trace and cut out pieces from felt according to the patterns. Use a pencil to draw on the “smiles” on the egg and ahi and the detail lines on the shrimp.
2. The DMC Floss has six strands. Cut a length about 12” long of the black floss. Thread just two strands of floss onto the embroidery needle. Knot one end and use a simple back stitch to embroider the smiles on the egg and ahi. Use four to six strands of the orange floss to stitch the shrimp’s detail lines. Set these aside for now.
3. Take three of the white felt pieces and make a 1/2” slit about 1/3 of the way from one vertical edge. Check to see if the paperclip will slip inside and adjust if needed. Put a dot of glue at the center of the white felt, slip in the top of the paper clip with the “clip part” protruding out and below the edge of the white felt. Now, match each with one of the remaining white felt pieces and glue together to form the base.
4. For the Egg sushi, wrap the yellow felt around the white felt with the clip. Be sure to center the smile on the right side. Glue the yellow piece to the base. Add the two 4mm rhinestones for the eyes above the smile. You can add a little glue if needed.
5. For the Shrimp and Ahi sushi, wrap one of the 1” x 3” black felt around a white felt with clip, just like you did with the egg sushi. Take the felt shrimp and lay across the top of the sushi, with the tail at the top opposite of the clip. Glue down. Place two rhinestones for eyes at the bottom end of the shrimp. For the Ahi, place the red felt on the top a little off center. Glue in place. Add the eyes above the smile.
6. Sushi Holder: Place the green cardstock vertically in to the paper trimmer. Starting from 1/2” down from the top and 1” in from the left edge, cut a 3” slit, stopping at the 3 1/2” mark. Move the cardstock over 1/4”, so the left edge is at the 1 1/4” mark. Make another matching 3” slit. Remove from the trimmer. Now, free-hand trim both 4” edges into spikey edge. Clip the three sushi clips inside of the slit to use as a holder.