1 qty. 6” x 6” Cardstock color A for graduate gown
2 qty. 1 1/2” x 2” Cardstock color A for gown sleeves
1 qty. 2 1/2” x 2 1/2” Cardstock color A for grad cap top
1 qty. 3 1/2” x 5” Cardstock color A for grad cap bottom and tab
1 qty. 1/2” x 3 1/4” Cardstock color B – for gown center trim
2 qty. 3/8” x 2” Cardstock color B – for gown neckline trim
1 qty. 4” x 5” Beige/Tan Cardstock for face and neck
2 qty. 4” x 4” Cardstock for hair
1 qty. 1” x 1” White Cardstock for eyes
1 qty. 1” x 1” Black Cardstock for eyes
1 qty. 1 1/2” x 3” White copy paper for diploma
DMC Embroidery Floss – matching to Cardstock color B
6” of 1/8” satin ribbon for diploma bow
1 yd. of 3/8” Sheer ribbon for lei
Sewing needle and thread for lei
Mini Glue Dots 30001510
Pop Up Dots 30001511
Meriken 1/4” Double Stick Tape 30013284
White Ink Pen/Marker
Pink/red Color pencil or chalk for cheek blush
Optional: Small flowers or other embellishments
WeR Envelope Punch Board 30144425
Fiskars SureCut Paper Trimmer 30088131
2 1/2” Circle Punch – Clever Lever (Pink) 30028755
3/8” Circle Punch – EK Success 30136619
1/4” Hole Punch – Fiskars 77178558
Tassel maker – Beadalon 30161302
Pencil for tracing
Note: Refer to pictured sample for placement guidance.
1. Trace and cut out pieces from cardstock according to the patterns, set aside until needed. Use the 2 1/2” circle punch and cut one circle out from the beige/tan cardstock for the head.
2. Making the gift card holder base: take the 6” x 6” cardstock and the WeR Envelope Punch Board to make the gift card holder base. Follow the directions on the WeR Envelope Punch Board to make an envelope for a 3” x 4” card. Fold and tape the envelope together leaving one of the 3 1/2” side flaps undone. Flip over the envelope so that the taped edges are on the bottom. Position the envelope in front of you with the open flap at the top vertically.
3. Take the 1/2” color B strip and place down the middle of the gown and tape in place. Take the beige neckline piece and align the straight edge along the top crease line of the holder and tape down. Align the two 3/8” strips of color B along the neckline, miter cut the edges in the middle where they meet and tape down. Trim off the excess at the top.
4. Place the 2 1/2” circle on top of the neck for the face. Place the front hair on top and tape down. Punch out two 3/8” circles from the white cardstock and two 1/4” circles from the black cardstock. Glue one black on top of the white for the eyes. Place the eyes on the face and glue in place. Use the white ink pen /marker to make a tiny dot on each eye for highlights. Use the colored pencil or chalk to make some blush on the cheeks under the eyes.
5. On the back of the envelope, matching with the front, place the hair on the head, slipping the bottom into the pocket. Tape down.
6. Take the 1/2” x 2” strip for the tab and score at 1/2”, 1” and 1 1/2”. Tape the two middle sections together, forming a short “T”. Tape the 1/2” bottom stem to the top of the back hair. Now, place the two grad cap bottoms on top of the hair on each side and matching the edges. Tape to the hair. The tabs should still be sticking out at the top. Tape the square grad cap to the tabs.
7. Make the tassel by using the DMC Embroidery floss and one of the tassel makers. Attach the tassel at the top of the grad cap with a glue dot. Punch a 3/8” circle from cardstock color A and glue on top of the tassel knot.
8. Finishing: take the two 1 1/2” x 2” cardstock color A pieces and place on the front on either side below the hair for the gown sleeves.
9. Roll the 1 1/2” white copy paper up and tape. Tie a small ribbon bow around and glue to the front between the sleeve ends for the diploma. Add other embellishments like small flowers if you like.
10. Thread the sewing needle with matching thread. Sew a running stitch along one end of the 3/8” sheer ribbon, making small even stitches. Gather ribbon up and place around the graduate for a lei. Adjust gathers and tie the thread ends together.